Several messages are again circulating that appear to come from your company or organisation's ICT service with 'Helpdesk' or 'MailsupportXXX' in the subject line.
You are encouraged to perform an update, verify your account or free up space in your mailbox. You are usually pressured to perform a quick action, e.g. click on the link to perform the update.
The scammers ask you to do this for security reasons, but it is just very unsafe to believe these messages.
Always be very careful with messages that seem to come from an ICT service or helpdesk. Especially if they ask you to click on a link and appear very compelling. Notify your ICT service immediately if such messages circulate. By clicking on the link and passing on data, you could put your company's entire network at risk.
Don't fall into the trap!
What to do?
- Do not click on a link in a suspicious message or open attachments.
- Do not forward the message to your contacts.
- Suspicious emails can be forwarded to [email protected].
- Suspicious text messages can also be forwarded. Take a screenshot and send it to [email protected]. The content is then processed automatically.
Did you click on a suspicious link?
- If you have clicked on the link, do not complete the fields and terminate any interaction.
- If you have entered a password that you also use elsewhere, change it immediately.
- If you have clicked on a link that opens a website where you have to submit bank details, first check that this is the real website of your bank. If you have the slightest doubt, do not make a payment.
Have you been scammed?
- If you have lost money or are being extorted, we recommend that you file a report with your local police straight away.
- Contact your bank and/or Card Stop on 078 170 170 (+32 78 170 170 from abroad) if you have passed on bank details, money is disappearing from your bank account or if you have transferred money to a scammer. In this way, any fraudulent transactions can be blocked.
- If you want to report fraud, you can contact your bank via a special number: https://beschermjezelfonline.be/bank-contacteren-voor-hulp